John Exley - Driver Training

Driving School / School of Motoring

Bookmark and Share

Click L Plates to view Site Map / Contents


B+E Trailer Towing Training / Lessons


Driving licence information

For full regulations regarding use of vehicles on the road

please refer to the relevant legislation for details.

This information is not intended as a definitive statement of the law.
Independent legal advice should be obtained if necessary.

UK / GB groups and EU categories

Full photocard licences show full entitlement on the pink plastic card and

provisional entitlement on the paper counterpart.

(Provisional photocard licences have a green plastic card).

Apply online for your first provisional driving licence

When you pass a test the additional category will be added to your licence.

Examiners can fast track your licence to DVLA - to do this they retain your current licence when you pass a test.

If you require a vocational provisonal licence you will have to send your current licence to DVLA along with a medical report from a doctor.

Before you can book a practical test you must pass the relevant theory test.

If you are upgrading within a category (e.g. B to B+E or C to C+E) you should already have passed the theory test.


Driving Licence

Driving Licence Information Codes.

N.B. provisional entitlement is shown on the paper counterpart.

All entitlement will be on one licence.

If you hold a paper only driving licence showing UK / GB groups and not EU categories:

Car - old Group A = new Category B

Car with a trailer - covered by old Group A = new Category B+E

A trailer up to 750kg may be towed without "+E" entitlement.

If you passed your car driving test before 1st January 1997 you should have B+E, C1 & D1 entitlements,

when your licence is due for renewal at age 70 you may lose these entitlements unless you ask to keep them!

If a court orders you to take a re-test you will have to take a test for all categories you want on your licence.

Automatic Car - old Group B = new Category B - limited to automatic transmission (Info Code 78 or 106)

Motor Tricycle - old Group C = new Category B1 - 3 or 4 wheeled light vehicles

Motorcycle - old Group D = new Category A

If you passed your motorcycle test before 1st February 2001 you will have category B1 entitlement.

If you have B1 entitlement and wish to upgrade to a car (Cat. B) you do not need to take the car theory test.

Moped - old Group E = new Category p

Since 1 January 1997 all learner moped and motorcycle riders irrespective of when a licence was issued must have completed a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course before riding a moped or motorcycle.

If you pass a car driving test after 1 February 2001 you will be required to undertake a CBT course before riding a moped on the road unless you already hold a full motorcycle or moped licence.
If you already hold a full car licence, or passed a car test before 1 February 2001, you are not required to take a CBT course before riding a moped but you are encouraged to do so.

Agricultural Tractor mounted on wheels - old Group F = new Caetgory f

Road Roller - old Group G = new Category g

Tracked vehicles - old Group H = new Category h

Invalid carriage - old Group J = new Category B1 - 3 or 4 wheeled light vehicles

Mowing Machine / Pedestrian controlled vehicle - old Group K = new Category k

Electric vehicles - old Group L = new Category l

Vehicles used for very short distances on public roads - old Group N = new Category n

Old Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) = new Large Goods Vehicles (LGV):

Old HGV Class 1 (Artic.) = new Category C+E

Old HGV Class 2 / Class 3 (Rigid) = new Category C

N.B. If you passed a HGV Class 2 (rigid lorry, without a trailer) test before the EU directive

you will have new Category C+E limited to drawbar trailers (Info Code 102) as this entitlement was granted without taking a test with a trailer.

If you pass a test in a rigid lorry with trailer that gives full C+E entitlement including articulated vehicles.

Medium sized vehicle (3500kg - 7500kg) = new Category C1

Medium sized vehicle (3500kg - 7500kg) wth trailer = new Category C1+E

Where the towing vehicle is in subcategory C1 and a trailer is towed the MAM of the combination thus formed may not exceed 12000kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. (If you passed your category B test prior to 1.1.1997 you will be restricted to a total weight not more than 8250kg)

A trailer up to 750kg may be towed without "+E" entitlement.

Old Public Service Vehicle (PSV) = new Passenger Carrying Vehicle (PCV):

Bus over 8 seats = new Category D

Bus over 8 seats with trailer = new Category D+E

Minibus 9-16 seats = new Category D1

Minibus 9-16 seats with trailer = new Category D1+E

A trailer up to 750kg may be towed without "+E" entitlement.

DirectGov - What you can drive and your obligations

More information is available by downloading leaflets at:



*For full regulations regarding use of vehicles on the road

please refer to the relevant legislation for details.





This website is designed & maitained by John Exley



Driving Licence - often misspelt as: licience; license; liciense